Regular business requires documents to be signed with a signature and date. But In the digital business world one can digitally sign documents with the necessary timestamps being delivered via a timestamp service. Timestamps have advantages over the dates associated with a handwritten signature. If a document which has been signed with a digital timestamp is subsequently altered, the timestamp becomes invalid. Thus the “integrity” of an electronic document can be ensured.
- Accredited and qualified according to Law
- Small budget solution – volume discount with increasing volume, 10 signatures free per day, annual invoice for ordered volume
- Simple and automated usage based on standard interfaces
- Proof of time and integrity
- Only the hash will be signed (a fingerprint of your document) – BlueCerts does not see the content of your documents
- Combined use possible – including signing services, organisation certificates and code signing certificates. In this way you can show evidence of ownership and provide non-repudiation guarantees for your documents.
How does a time stamp service work ?
Typically documents have a PDF/A format. Initially a fingerprint of the document will be created – a so-called “hash”. The hash comprises a small set of digits and characters representing the complete document. If the document is ever changed the new hash will be completely different. This hash will be sent to SwissSign. SwissSign signs the hash with its private key. The signed hash is then combined with the original PDF document to produce a signed PDF document. By using the public key of the timestamp service anybody can quickly check whether the timestamp is valid or not.
Which software do I need to communicate with the BlueCerts powered by SwissSign Time stamp service ?
As BlueCerts Time Stamping Solution powered by SwissSign uses the international standard RFC3161, you can use any standard application which also uses this standard. You simply need to configure your application (for example Adobe Acrobat X Pro) to use the URL http://tsa.swisssign.net in order to address the timestamp service.